Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Beginning and an Update

I decided to start writing a blog to not only update my family and friends about what is going on with the recent events but to help get these things out of my brain, figure things out. Writing is a very cathartic process and right now, I need that. If writing it down is going to help me be more peaceful with all that is happening, then I’m all for it. It will also be something that I can look at a year or two down the road and remind myself of what my family went through and see just how far things have come.

On July 7th, our world turned upside down. Our house caught fire, cause currently unknown. Thankfully, no one was home but that does not mean that we didn’t lose anyone. We lost my Green Winged Macaw, Raeka, my Mealy Amazon, Caesar, my long haired Siamese, Mieko, and our dog Roxy just a night later. Half of my babies are gone. They performed CPR on my African Grey parrot, Merlin, and on our cat, Salem, who has now gone through 2 lives. He’s an amazing cat. We have 2 dogs remaining, Indy a Yorkshire terrier, and Sisco, a German Shepherd/Chow mix. It’s hard to describe feelings of loss, not only for our home but for our family members as well. Everyone has been great, Fire Fighters, Red Cross, neighbors, hotel clerks, vets, family, and friends. There is such a feeling of loss. The place that was our sanctuary is gone. We have no safe haven any more. We lived there for over 10 years and now our home is no longer livable. So while we wait, we cope, which is not easy. Waiting is difficult because the future is uncertain. Waiting to see what the insurance company says, waiting and watching and praying our surviving pets to make sure they don’t pass away. Yet, we have to look at the blessings. My children and grandson are fine. My husband and I are fine. The situation WILL BE fine. We just have to wait.

The other day we took Merlin, the African Grey, to the vet. He said that Merlin made it through the worst so he thinks he's going to be ok. Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems so the fact that he was brought back to life and is doing ok really says a lot. Merlin stayed at the vet and was given a nebulizer treatment as the humidity will help the soot break apart so it can be released from his system so he can breathe better. I called him yesterday morning and he's doing pretty well, although he was being a cranky pants, not letting anyone pick him up and he was dumping his water...something he did at home until he was given porcelain bowls. LOL. When I told them I was going to visit him after work they asked what time and I was promptly told that I could move him to the sanctuary (where they will be boarding him) when I was there. It took a minute for him to realize that it was me but he let me pick him up and love on him. He doesn’t want to open his eyes much because of the smoke but I will be giving him medicine every day when I visit. I have to say that I am VERY impressed with this vet! He is so wonderful and was truly heartbroken when he found out the pets that I lost, especially my parrots. The staff has been so wonderful and helpful. We asked if they boarded cats and dogs and they do! So we left Salem there yesterday and Monday we will be taking Sisco. The other night Salem was doing very well. He was roaming the hotel and loving on Mike and me and purring. He isn't eating or drinking though so the vet is going to look him over. They will look Sisco over Monday when we take her although she is doing great. I am sure that she is lonely and scared especially now that she doesn't have Roxy anymore. I would go visit her today but the shelter is closed so I will see her Monday. The vet is closed today as well but he said he was going to be there anyway so I can visit Merlin and Salem if I wanted to so I am going. It’s going to be great to have them all there at one place so I can visit them every day after work. I don’t want them to think that they were abandoned. They are going through so much right now and if we all can’t be together in one place we can at least try to consolidate as much as possible. We moved to a pet friendly hotel so we have Indy, the Yorkie, with us. He seems to be doing pretty well. Still coughing and having some problems with his eyes but that’s to be expected. Amazing how a fire can create so many long term issues. Yesterday was the first day that I broke down and cried. It was after Mike told me that Roxy died the night before and it all just hit me. She was #4 to die. I've lost so many babies but I'm so happy to have the ones that I have left and I pray to Goddess every day, several times, that I don’t lose the rest.

The insurance company comes tomorrow morning and they are bringing their own fire investigator. Mike will be meeting them at 9 so we really do not know anything until then. Right now, it’s a waiting game. So here we sit, in a hotel room that is our temporary home. While it is not ideal, we do have a roof over our heads and I am very grateful for that. I long for the day when my family can be together under one roof and when that day happens, I will celebrate. 

I am posting pictures of my pets that passed. I am unable to find pictures of Meiko and Caesar. I am posting the ones that I do have of Raeka and Roxy. I hope and pray that I can find the others. I plan on having memorials for them. It’s difficult to lose a pet. They become part of our family. It’s even more difficult to lose 4 at the same time. The feeling of loss with my feathered and furred family and of our home is indescribable.

Don’t take anything for granted, folks. Appreciate what you have now; love your family now, including your pets. Things can truly change in an instant.




Raeka, Green Winged Macaw, the friendly bird RIP 7/7/11






Roxy, the smily dog. RIP 7/8/11



                           Caesar, my buddy.  RIP 7/7/11


     Meiko, the long haired Siamese RIP 7/7/11





2 comments:

  1. I am so so so sorry to hear all of this. My love is sent to you and your family. Anything ! you need then just ask .

    ReplyDelete